Notes from Monaco
– UEFA Super Cup is a cool event. The teams are good. But something is missing. The players do not take it that seriously. UEFA has to look and find that missing thing.
– Stade Louis is terrible. In such a rich city that stadium is a disgrace. The pitch was not good as well. It affected Barcelona’s play.
– I watched the match with CNN’s European sports correspondent Pedro Pinto. He is a nice guy with a vast knowledge on Turkish football. When we got bored we talked on Turkish football, Emre Belözoğlu, Hakan Şükür, Arda and Nihat.
– The draw ceremonies were brilliant. The stage was amazing. Pedro hosted the Champions League draw with a girl called Melanie. She looked beautiful and tall on stage but afterwards she left the exhibition center with jeans, a tshirt and a cap. Not that attractive.
– Joan Laporta is brimming with confidence. He is always cheerful. He was the star of all the events. He pays close attention to Lionel Messi all the time. As if someone is going to steal him.
– Edwin van der Sar who is very tall is married to a woman of average height, around 1,60. Vitor Baia is trying to be a football executive. Paolo Maldini who will certainly be a UEFA President one day was smiling all the time. Luis Figo may have a slight problem with English.
– Emilio Butragueno shared his drive with us back to the hotel. The girl driving the car has not noticed who he is as she was pretty young. That created a funny moment. However Butragueno is really modest. He will soon be coming to İstanbul again.
-France Football Federation President walked all the way between la Meridien and Grimaldi Forum despite his age. He never asked for a car. And he was in the back seat of the bus that took us to stadium in the evening.
-Michel Platini was friendly to everybody. He had fun. He gets bored easily in receptions and ceremonies.
– Monaco is a city composed of cars and girls(looking for rich guys). However the architecture and sea is great.
– The weather was really hot when we got there. Le Meridien’s lack of internet was the other major issue.
– The referee Frank de Bleeckere was terrible. Shakthar deserved to win at some point.
– I tweeted all the events during the 3 days which was really satisfying. I used an N97 all the time. The battery life of that phone is an issue. You can follow me on Twitter.